My Place

Our place forum

username:
password:
| lost password | register

Home » Talking My Place » Episode 5 | 1968 : Sofia

5/03/2010 10:09:37 AM

Administrator
Sofia is a spy for the yayas and she's determined to get rid of her brother Michaelis's non-Greek girlfriend before he leaves for Vietnam.

What are your thoughts on this episode?

permalink • reply with quote
9/06/2011 1:45:37 PM

sdono20
The number of bottles that Sofia threw into the canal could polute the waterway. I wonder if they were collected at the end of the filming.

9/06/2011 1:45:56 PM

tgibb33
My students would probably not know what the yayas were doing in the yard with the olives and may have never seen beer in tallies. All theses incidental learnings children get from video that are often missed in text

9/06/2011 1:48:47 PM

dsimm1
Having taught in Darwin for many years (has large Greek community) I found this interpretation of the greek culture in the setting of urban Australia authentic in tone and action. As exESL teacher this resource could easily be used to investigate cultural traits and values.

9/06/2011 1:53:43 PM

Terri
This episode really appealed to my year 7 students. It was an excellent way to introduce them to the topic of the Vietnamese war and conscription- the kids were well and truly hooked. It also provided a great opportunity to discuss the early beginnings of muti-culturism in Australia.

9/06/2011 1:54:31 PM

pmcmaster
There are plenty of students with a Greek background at my school so Sofia's story will be a valuable tool in my class.

Location specific post: view location

9/06/2011 1:58:35 PM

linda
If this episode is a work of 'faction' I wonder just how many 'Sofias' there were in the 1960's who deliberately sabotaged relationships by not translating accurately! I found it most intriguing (almost laughable), especially decoding the non-verbals (facial expressions) of the characters and wondering just what they were thinking!!

9/06/2011 2:01:52 PM

robert.lawton
My first 'My Place' experience as part of the BLAST pre-conference PD day at the ICT Innovation Centre on the Sunshine Coast. Enjoyed this episode immensely - lots of food for thought. Initial idea for a starting point - would be good to look at the classroom scene with the students and compare it with the classroom of today.

15/06/2011 1:45:08 PM

Deborah Cohen
I love the epiosde of Sophia. It reminds me of the era I was a child. I feel it is a significant story of children who were expected to translate fior their parents.

Home » Talking My Place » Episode 5 | 1968 : Sofia

Australian Childrens Television Foundation Education Services Australia The Learning Federation