My Place

Our place forum

username:
password:
| lost password | register

Home » Talking My Place » Episode 8 | 1938 : Colum

5/03/2010 10:12:24 AM

Administrator
Colum has two big ambitions: to stop his best mate Thommo's family from being kicked out of their house next door, and to get up the nerve to ride his billycart down Brickpits Hill.

What are your thoughts on this episode?

permalink • reply with quote
10/08/2010 12:18:31 PM

Anne Simpson
This episode will promote rich discussion on the reality of the Depression particularly its impact on Thommo's family.

10/08/2010 12:38:18 PM

MaggieG
I agree Anne. It really demonstrates the hardship of the depression and how the sense of community was so strong.

16/10/2010 9:42:44 PM

rmckay
The Depression seemed to unite people and groups, and perhaps during those times with little material objects of value etc, it allowed and encouraged people to place greater value or appreciation on non-material items, such as friendship, family, community, etc?
edited by Moderator on 27/10/2010

15/06/2011 1:44:25 PM

Roseesl
I saw this episode at a PD today and loved it. I could spend days exploring the content. I can't wait to start using this resource in the classroom.

15/06/2011 1:46:59 PM

SueC
Loved this episode. Can't wait to see more.

15/06/2011 1:47:24 PM

Deborah Cohen
The episode based on Colum's part of the story opens up so many possible avenues to explore themes and ideas with students...interviewing their own grandparents, discussing the sense of community in their own neighbourhood, the simple machines and significantly harder amounts of manual labour to complete households tasks - almost all done by women and some by children! ...and that's just for starters!

15/06/2011 1:51:09 PM

coconatty
What an interesting episode and what great boys depicting the struggles of family life in 1938. This opened discussion on how 'freedom' for children has changed over time - adventures on billy carts have been scaled down (helemets required) and many do not even know their neigbours.

Home » Talking My Place » Episode 8 | 1938 : Colum

Australian Childrens Television Foundation Education Services Australia The Learning Federation